Friday, December 7, 2012

Call the Exorcist

I had an upper respiratory infection during my Sophomore year of high school, and I was on a strong [blue] antibiotic.  On Sunday morning, I was running behind getting ready for church with my parents, so I skipped breakfast, popped my antibiotic, and we were out the door.  About half-way through the homily, my empty stomach took a turn for the worse.  I had that all too familiar feeling where a warm wave came over me and I was suddenly coated in sweat.  And then I felt the inching up sensation of something inside of me that insisted on coming out.

I ran outside just in time to vomit blue all over the front church steps.  By the time I finally finished and made my way to the bathroom to regain composure and freshen up, Mass had ended.  So I didn’t even get to see the congregation’s reaction to what they discovered as they exited Sunday services.

Oh, this was supposed to be related to Christmas?  Ok.  I believe it was later that year when I made my Confirmation, which satisfied my parents and then they no longer made me practice Catholicism.  Even though I no longer choose to attend church with regularity, I will say that Christmas Eve Mass is absolutely beautiful and it is my preferred service to attend when I do.

2 comments: