Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wrap Star

I had the misfortune of working retail for four years of my life.  If you are looking to completely avoid any sprinkle of holiday cheer, if you loathe the feeling of being in the “Christmas spirit,” then consider working in a store at Christmastime.  You will lose faith in humanity and possibly even yourself.  The final year I worked retail, it was for an upscale card and stationery shop at NorthPark.

I headed up the custom printing division, so I was slammed from mid-November through the first week of December with orders for holiday greetings.  Once the Christmas card craze died down, I mostly helped with various projects around the store, and since I had a knack for gift wrapping, I would volunteer to wrap gifts when a customer requested it.

One morning, a member of a prominent Dallas family brought in all of their packages from various fancy stores and boutiques around the mall and asked if I would wrap them up.  I had wrapped for them before, but nothing like this—it took me two full working days, wrapping around 10 hours straight each day, to complete the project.

I admit that I am a weirdo who actually enjoys wrapping boxes and making bows, but I was beyond relieved when this task was finally finished.  My fingertips ached for the next couple of days from pinching perfectly straight and crisp lines along every edge of every box and from making dozens of bows from ribbon.  When they came to pick up their packages and as I was ringing them up, I thought to myself, “It must be nice to be able to spend hundreds of dollars for someone else to wrap your Christmas gifts for you.”  And I quit that job two months later in pursuit of something better.

2 comments:

  1. I NEVER want to have so much money that I would spend it on something like that. But, I have always wondered what I would do if I had "eff you" money for a year or so.

    The one thing that I have always said that I would do if I had that kind of money would be to wear a new pair of socks every single day. That is the best feeling in the world, putting on a new pair of socks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agreed. New socks are the best.

    And that feeling I got was never about having someone else to wrap my gifts, I genuinely still enjoy doing that for myself, but it was like you said--fantasizing about just what I would do. And no one has "eff you" money while working in a store.

    I may never have money like that, but I am happy that these days I only wrap my own gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete