Thursday, January 10, 2013

No Good Deed

This is a story about a time that Kit and I helped a supposed person in need.  I am telling the story because of how it ended, not to publicize that we did some sort of charity.  I sincerely believe charitable acts should remain anonymous or private, and I can hardly stand it when people wave around the fact that they helped someone.  In my mind, it is cancelled out at that point.  And I believe it is fine to publicize this story because I never felt good about it anyway.

In mid-January 2011, we were concluding a visit with a dear friend who was here from out of town on business.  She had stayed with us, but it was time to drop her off and say our goodbyes.  Our ride home was a little dicey, as this was the winter where we had four consecutive snow days.  On this particular afternoon, it was lightly sleeting and snowing, and ice was just beginning to stick to the windshield.

As we got close to home, we saw a girl who had to be in her late teens/early 20s, standing by herself on a sidewalk at the side of the road and shivering.  I pulled up and asked if she was hungry, and she said that she was, so I drove up the street to a fast food restaurant, ordered a few assorted items, and brought them back to her.

When I rolled down the window and handed the bag to her, she began fumbling through the bag, seemingly searching for something.  She looked up and asked, “No hot sauce?”  The only reply I could come up with was, “Wow,” and I rolled up the window, began laughing in disbelief, and drove away. 

You’re welcome.

2 comments:

  1. A couple of years ago, while residing in a townhome in kind of a dicey neighborhood, a very pregnant woman was walking up the street and I was outside with my neighbor at the time. She walked up to us and asked us if we had an extra carseat or knew someone who did, because, as she explained, she was being induced the very next morning and she didn't have a way to carry her new baby home from the hospital. My neighbor posted the request on facebook, polling her friends to see if they had an extra hand me down. One of her amazingly non-selfish friends wrote her and said she will buy her one. So we coordinated with the FB friend who lived several cities away. The FB friend bought not just a car seat but a whole set, the matching stroller, carrier, and carseat. She drove up to Denton and we walked with her over to where the pregnant woman lived to give it to her. She opened the door and instead of crying in amazement at strangers kindness, she said, "can you buy my baby a crib too?" I was shocked and dismayed at her reaction. A child can sleep anywhere, hell he can sleep in that stroller or car seat he was just given. and you take the generosity of strangers as an invitation to be greedy and ask for me? I couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despicable is the first word that comes to mind. Some people have such a sense of entitlement, and no matter what they acquire, they will never be thankful or content.

    ReplyDelete