Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 in Review

Here is [mostly] what happened in my world this year, in [mostly] chronological order:




I began the year with a bang – I contracted the worst stomach virus of my life, and it lasted eight days.  EIGHT. DAYS. New Year’s Eve had me toasting with grape Pedialyte instead of champagne.
At one point, I became delirious and insisted upon being referred to as Rambo


Thankfully, I didn’t die and I got to celebrate the newest arrival in our family.
"Aunt Sis" at Baby Lainey's Shower in January


  I finally got a niece, Lainey Grace, on February 3rd!  She arrived one day
early because she couldn’t wait to meet us.  And I am proud to report that
Miss Lainey has red hair coming in.
At long last, I got a niece to complete my set




At the end of February, I traveled to Washington, DC, for the first time.  I arrived a couple of days in advance of my conference to explore the city – I spent an entire day on the National Mall all by myself.  This is also a first for me; I’ve never navigated a new city on my own.  I visited a couple of Smithsonians along with the Newseum.  I saw the White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, The Capitol, the World War II Memorial, the Hope Diamond, all the things.
At the observation deck of the Newseum; I am presenting
The Capitol Building in the distance
 At the World War II Memorial - I found Texas!



And that evening, I enjoyed my first solo fine dining experience.  I sat by myself and racked up a nearly $150 dinner bill.  It was exquisite.
I destroyed the Maryland crab cakes far too quickly to snap a shot



From the beginning of the year and into early April, I participated in the #100HappyDays challenge, wherein I posted one photo each day for 100 consecutive days, and the photo had to depict something which made me happy on that particular day.  It was a fantastic experiment, and it gave me new perspective on happiness and how to find some in each day.



In March, Conan came to Dallas to shoot his show for one week, and Kit and I were some fortunate recipients of the ticket lottery who got to watch the taping of his very first show in town.  They made a huge deal about it, and we had the best day!

We also ran into Andy Richter at lunch down the street from the theatre,
but I didn't want to be "that guy" who asked him for a photo, so you'll
just have to take my word for it
This was also apparently the year for retro concerts in Dallas!
 
We got to see Pet Shop Boys AND Erasure - both put on amazingly good shows

At the very end of June, I executed my largest event yet, with ~430 attendees.  It was an orientation event for our incoming 1st year residents, and we had been planning for over nine months.  It was a pilot effort wherein UT Southwestern, Parkland, Children’s, and the VA collaboratively hosted one comprehensive orientation event, and it ended up a grand success!  I am proud to have been part of this project, and I’m excited that the group has agreed to do it again this year.
That's my boss at the podium!




Towards the end of summer, I slipped off of a rock at the San Marcos River and landed on my bottom in such a way that I broke my freaking tailbone.  It took about three months, but I am proud to say that I can sit comfortably once again and without the assistance of a special cushion.  #winning


 
Another year of school is behind me, and I am still mostly enjoying it.  My business and management core classes have been excellent, and I’ve been able to get through the mathematics courses with some humor.  While I have come to appreciate (and actually understand!) Statistics, Calculus can go straight to hell.  Thankfully, I have survived both – except I have another year of Stats classes, but I am actually looking forward to them.  I never thought I would say that.
Emphasis on the S u(x) (read: SUX, because it does)





Mid November, I got to meet David Freaking Sedaris!  He is my hero and inspiration for writing. No one tells a story like he can, and it was an unbelievable moment getting to speak with him, shake his hand, and thank him for so many laughs over the years.
And, yes, that's a smudge of his dinner at the edge of the page

For the first time, we were able to wrangle all of those nephews and my niece, and we made them [kind of] sit still long enough to capture a photo of us together.  Thanksgiving was at our home again this year, which is kind of a big deal since it is my absolute favorite holiday.

This is the best we could do, but I admittedly adore how perfectly
dysfunctional the photo turned out
We had portraits made with my brother, sister-in-law, and their kiddos as Christmas gifts for my parents.  An added benefit is that we now have current photos and used this one for our holiday greetings...
I did not officiate any weddings this year, but I managed to stay completely busy with all of the fun [as well as not fun] things I had going on.  School plunges ahead, and I look forward to seeing what the new year has in store.

I hope you and yours have a beautiful holiday season.  And let’s do this, 2015!
Vinster for the winster!


No comments:

Post a Comment